Wednesday, February 01, 2006

QOTD: surprise! you're fired.

question of the day: given the current trend of out-of-state out-sourcing, do you see any concerns for job security in the next 5 years?

Out-sourcing is not a true problem. It is an effect caused by the so-called solution to another problem--the need for higher profits. I find that over-population is a bigger problem! People need to stop breeding beyond two children (enough to replace each parent) because it puts a strain on so many resources. You are more likely to get a job if there are fewer people applying. It's simple supply and demand. Why do you think countries with a billion people have such low wages? Because they have so many people to pick from, there is little room for salary negotiating.

I can always be a hooker. I think I would make a good hooker

out of state? u mean out of country. and no - the type of work i do isn't effected by this.

No, not for what I do.

Nah....shepherds are in high demand in the tri-state area after the "dot com" era came to a crash. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank and fields

hell yes. having witnessed the out-sourcing environment first hand, it is clear that these countries are churning out supremely educated, better trained, well-disciplined and far more hungry employee pool, comparatively speaking. On top, the cost-benefits are an added bonus (as opposed to primary reason for out-sourcing). So the more they adapt and evolve from just being a back-office solution providers to American companies to becoming more proactive in field of R&D and global-market-consumer driven products and ideas, we lazy Americans are pretty soon going to lose our jobs, sleep and pants. AND I as an American see nothing wrong with that. that competitive nature made this country as great it is, nothing wrong with someone else doing the same

Not really. My current team is small enough not to be outsourced.

Yes, I see a huge problem with job security in the future. Companies are in business to make money, so if they can get other employees that work for less, they'd be dumb not to do it. With new technology emerging for telecommuting, such as webcasts and web conferences, there is no longer a need to have employees that live in close proximity to the building.

Hmmm -- I'm not sure. I guess you need to adapt to the changes and look for opportunities that outsourcing creates.

outsourcing fascinates me. it is scary - but also inevitable. as an international business major - i have the flexibility and desire to move globally with opportunities. within the next five years - as more technology and business shifts to asia - i'd like to work with a company that works towards helping the US and Asia simultaneously. so i think it will affect me, but positively (or so i hope). in a business development/marketing role

i don't work in security.

bite me.

you would have to be a fool to not have concerns...however, i hope the goverment steps in and starts taxing the crap out of the companies doing it (like [company])

Out of state? Like someone who lives in PA and works in NJ, effectively taking away a job from a 'garden stater'? Those people make me sick!

Not really. It's hard to shovel sh!t from overseas.

2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the editor, who does not exist, of the blog that does not exist, I find this to be a most excellent question. One that should bring all into focus and alert to today's changing markets and trends. I commend you!!
To answer this, I would have to say:
"I like cheese. Cheese makes me poop....yeAAA!!"

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sad reality is that ANY job can be outsourced to someone cheaper in another place. ANY job. I see people in this company that consistently work 80 hours a week to keep their job and I worry that may be the future for all Americans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home